Purchased by Wetherspoons
Purchased by Wetherspoons for the new Silver Penny restaurant in Abbey Street Lower Dublin St. Brigid’s Robe Painted and mirror polished Cast bronze Edition of 8
Irish coinage can be traced back over a thousand years to around AD995. These early ‘hammered’ coins were made from silver by striking a coin blank between two hand-cut dies. The silver pennies were produced for the Scandinavian King of Dublin, Sigtrygg II, also known as Sigtrygg Silkbeard. The silver pennies bore the king’s head and name, along with the word ‘Dyflin’ for Dublin.
The Silver Penny: These licensed premises were originally two separate buildings. The two-storey corner building was a Baptist chapel which opened for worship in 1839. The adjoining building opened the same year. Designed by Isaac Farrell, it was purpose built for the Trustee Savings Bank. The countless coins once in circulation here have inspired the present name, The Silver Penny.
Irish coinage can be traced back more than a thousand years to around AD955, with silver pennies made for the Scandinavian King of Dublin, Sihtric II, also known as Sigtrygg Silkbeard.